Thursday, February 8, 2007

Origin of the Snow Day

Okay. I just posted--and I have left out something--so I MUST immediately post again. (I wonder if my computer will explode at my posting two times in one day. Hmm.)

I wanted to tell you WHY we had the snow day--as in, who was responsible. It was my niece--Kate. She told my sister, after she woke up on Thursday and saw the snow and learned that she had a snow day, that she had done it! Her friend Amanda had given her three steps to follow to "make" a snow day happen. I'll outline them for you:

1) Wear your pajamas to bed inside out.
2) Put a spoon underneath your pillow. (Kate went overboard--or was incredibly thorough--if you care to look at it that way--she put a spoon under EVERYONE'S pillow. In fact, Brenda didn't find out until she was making the bed Thursday morning and found utensils under the pillows. She must not be that princess and the pea gal--you know, the one who could tell the pea was there--under lots and lots of layers/mattresses.)
3) Throw a couple of ice cubes in the toilet. (But Kate told Brenda that it couldn't be TOO many ice cubes or the electricity would go out.)

What kind of, and I use the term loosely, reasoning is that? I guess the reasoning of a 6th grader and her friend Amanda. It made me laugh and laugh.

That's all. :-) I've got to go now and--yes--put my pajamas on inside out, find some spoons, and empty the ice tray into the toilet. :-)

13 comments:

Katie said...

That's hilarious. I've never heard any "recipes" for a snow day. I'll be on the lookout for that one in a few years when Luke's pulling more sophisticated shenanigans.

Yay for your snow day! And how exciting to have "celebrities" around! Chris had some brushes with fame at the Starbucks he worked at in Louisville. It was THE store to go for celebs I guess. The best visitor was Kirsten Dunst. Oh, and I forgot about the time he was meter-reading in Minneapolis and came across a house that was filming for Trading Spaces. He met Genevieve Gorder (she thought he was part of the crew) and even got her autograph for me. :)

Matt & Nicki said...

That's great. . .boy does that make me miss teaching 6th grade or what?! I have all those things to look forward to now with my own children.

Becky said...

Hey Nicki--What is Matt teaching? (I should know--it seems to me that it must be history. Am I wrong?) It's so nice to hear from you--I'm sorry you don't get snow days. At Northland, I recall that it was VERY rare to get any time off. So, it's nice to get a break once in a great while here. :-) Hey--are you still writing? Do you have any time to do that?

Matt & Nicki said...

Matt actually teaches Bible now... but DOES have a secondary Ed. History degree, and he DID teach History in Georgia. Am I still writing? Hmm. . .does e-mail count? Seriously though-I journal A LOT! I have four different journals going right now--two are for my kiddo's. You will have to check out our blog and look at their pictures.
www.four-toes.blogspot.com
Thanks for responding.

Holly said...

That is too funny! Sounds like something my Kylie would think up, but she's only 5 1/2. =) I wish I had some cool story of a close brush with someone famous, but I don't. Have a great week!

Tracy said...

Greetings!!! I don't know if you remember me or not, but if you remember Shakespeare Hamlet and Ophelia misinterpretation, that's me. I just came across your blog and wanted to say Hi. I love your niece's recipe for a snow day. I'll have to send it to my sister since she's been praying for a snow day. Stop in at our blog sometime. I'll be watching yours now that I've found it.

Unknown said...

Becky,
Quick question for you, would you mind emailing me your mailing address? Matt was wondering if you'd ever do a recommendation letter for him. Thanks! My email address is: aliciahorn@hotmail.com

Alicia

the johnson crew said...

what a funny story!

AnneB said...

Hey Becky! I am so glad I stubbled across your blog. I have thought of you so many times over the last few years and am glad to finally find you. My husband Mark and I were both students in your English 101 and 102 classes at NBBC in '00-'01. Funny story!

Mo's Mob said...

Great story! I always loved your classes and so did Brad! I was so excited to find your site! Stop by at ours sometime - we'd love to hear from you!!! Brad and Beth

The Two of Us said...

Great story! I'm also excited to have found your site. I always thought of you as one of the "cool" faculty members. Ahh, the good old days of NBBC. Blogging is so great for seeing old friends. Stop on by any time you feel inspired.

Hairgrove Hangout said...

Is it really you, my literature friend?? Oh the days of Hawthrone, I remember them well. How are ya Becky? Still teaching English and literature I hope. I'm teaching K-4 again and loving it. We love Florida, and you wouldn't believe my health! I'm back to normal - somewhat. I'm able to go to church, teach, make visits, help in our Young Families SS class and love serving the Lord with a healthy attitude. It's so good to find your blog. Love ya so much.

joyfully2b4u said...

so, did it work for you? =)
~Joy (erstwhile secretary of the Eng Dept)
so good to read something you wrote again--it's been so long! =)