Thursday, February 8, 2007

An Actual Snow Day AND Brushes with Fame

Okay. It's going to be mighty difficult to contain my excitement in this blog, but I'll do my best to try.

First, since I last wrote about an almost snow day, I thought it would only be fair for me to tell you (whoever is reading!)--or at least record the fact--that we did indeed have a snow day last Thursday. It was VERY exciting. Now, the snow wasn't all that exciting. We got, oh, about 1 and 1/2 inches. Maybe. But we also received some ice and sleet, so school was cancelled. I can't really put into words how seeing our school's name scroll across the bottom of my television screen makes me feel. I'm fully aware that it sounds like I dislike school, but I promise you--it's not that. It's just an unexpected surprise. And a treat. That's the best part--a gift of time you didn't know you'd have. What can compare to that?

Maybe the other part of my post--

Second, a brush with fame--well, we are all quite thrilled on our campus these days because the film Leatherheads is being filmed right off our campus--in fact, so close by that the crew/actors/etc. are set up in the parking lot of our football stadium. The set they're building is really close by--walking distance. (It's a 1920's movie--so it's an old football stadium they're building--bleachers, scoreboard, and all.) And it's George Clooney and Renee Zellweger who are creating the buzz all over campus. (Yes, they're the stars.) No one has actually spotted them. (WELL, one of my students, Sarah, told me today that she saw George, as she called him--as if they're close friends--as he was getting into a Buick--on the side of the road. And he was wearing, according to reliable Sarah, a tan jacket, a white shirt, and black pants. [What specific details!]) I was just watching the local evening news--because there were several news crews on campus today--to see the story (and to check if any of my students made fools of themselves). And one of my students was interviewed. She said (I promise you this is what she said--I just saw it), "My English teacher said that perhaps we could go on a field trip during class one day to look for George Clooney!" Ha! It's my brush with fame! :-) How exciting! (Now, did I say that? Who knows? I'm old now--I can't keep track! How scary!) I did look for him on the side of the road as I drove to school this morning--I thought that if his car had broken down, I could give him a ride. (Now, why would I think that 1) he drives himself to work; 2) his car would be the kind that would break down; and 3) there wouldn't be 1001 people around to help him out.)

Did I lie? Isn't it all exciting? It makes me laugh. The headlines read, "Hollywood comes to Tigerville!" (That's where North Greenville University--my school--is located--just in case I hadn't mentioned it before.)

I can't top all of that. I must stop for now. If I spot George or Renee, I'll be sure to blog about it. (AND, I'll snap a photo with my phone. That will be a treat, huh?)

Hope you're well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you finally got a well-deserved snow day! I hope you were able to crawl back into bed and enjoy some extra time to snooze. I always loved that about snow days. :)

Any true George sitings yet?

Matt & Nicki said...

I always enjoy reading your posts-they make me laugh b/c I can just hear you saying all of this . . .glad you enjoyed the snow day. Here in Minnesota we get sub-zero temperatures, snow, but NO school closings for us (and NO "brushes with fame") Being a teacher's wife, I too get excited about an occasional snow day--no such luck here!
Nicki Tolosa

ruth said...

How exciting! Maybe they will need some extras, and you can volunteer!

Unknown said...

Renee and George...I sure hope you get to see them, maybe meet them:) A gal I work with is BEYOND infatuated with George. She has more pics of him up at her cube than her kids, sad!:) Well, maybe they will ask for volunteers for some acting or something; I mean hey, you did a GREAT job at NBBC in some hit roles:) lol I hope you enjoyed the snow day:)

Katie Barker said...

Oh... that was a good laugh! Thanks for the story, and the 3 points. Can't wait to see that phone camera picture!