Sunday, June 3, 2007

Summer

I wonder if they (the people who are in charge of the computer--or blogs--or whatever) shut down blogs that haven't seen new posts in months. Hmm . . . actually, I guess they don't since I'm able to post here without trouble.

It's summer now. And wow, it's soooooooooooooo nice not to have grading waiting for my attention/lesson plans waiting for my studying/responsibilities in general waiting for--whatever responsibilities wait for. It's been years (five, I think) since I've had any time--more than a week--without teaching responsibilities. Phew. But I'll admit that I do miss the classroom a little bit. Not enough to run around looking for an empty classroom to fill right now--but enough to already be looking forward to the 2nd session of summer school. (Yes, I split my infinitive there--for anyone who is looking for possible errors in my writing.) I am not apologizing for that excitement. I have new pictures to share--why wouldn't I be looking forward to teaching again? Let me explain where I've been.

New England. Northampton, Amherst, and Concord specifically. It was wonderful.

Northampton--we weren't there for a long time--just stayed there for a few nights while we traveled over to Amherst (the more important destination)--but we did get to see Jonathan Edwards's church in Northampton. (Unfortunately, I couldn't get the exact picture I wanted--there were some odd/borderline scary types in front of it, and I didn't want to confront. So they're in my picture. I'll see if I can figure out how to post it on here somewhere.)

Amherst--anyone remember what's important about Amherst? (I did learn, while I was there, that if you actually pronounce the H in Amherst, you immediately identify yourself as an outsider/visitor. Just thought I'd throw out that fact.) Emily Dickinson. That's right. I've visited there before, but not for that long--a really quick run-through is all I've had. So, this time, we spent time looking at Amherst College. Then, we walked over to Emily's grave (she's buried relatively close to her home--not too far away). And then, we took the long tour of her home. It was amazing. Standing in her bedroom--the place where she composed (and then hid) all of those thought-provoking gems--extraordinary. And we had a great tour guide, too--she was a little TOO observant--I would have liked someone who could have been more easily distracted so I could have taken a photo or two throughout the tour, but at least she was well informed.

Concord--come on now--everyone knows what's important about Concord. No, not Paul Revere's lantern (although that is definitely important). Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond. I have had the chance, in the past, to visit Sleepy Hollow Cemetery--and his grave (along with Emerson's, Hawthorne's, Alcott's, etc.). However, I've never actually visited the Pond--seen the replica of his cabin, walked around his beautiful Pond, stood in the center of the site of his original cabin--those activities. Walden Pond is one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited--I don't know if it was the particular day we were there--or if I was concentrating on nature more than I normally do. But it was glorious. I wholeheartedly recommend a visit if you have the chance.

I didn't intend to talk about those places. I was going to talk about other things. Oh well. I'll wait and do that another day--maybe I won't wait four months before I do so.

I will say that the BEST thing about having a blog--and scribbling in it once in a while--isn't anything I write--or remember--or whatever. It's being in touch with students from the past--how I do miss my Northland students. (And I LOVE reading your blogs--I actually look forward to it! :-) So, thank you. (And I think that your kids are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen! Are they really your kids? Do you run around and find the cutest kids around and ask to take their photo?? Hmm?)

More soon. Hopefully.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the literary schooling! I could not answer any of your questions about those places; that's Matt's area and I stay well away from it! :)

Sounds like you had an absolutely marvelous time! Who did you travel with? New England is such a beautiful area in the summer time. I hope to get out to Boston to show Matt around one of these years.

When do you start back into your summer teaching?

AnneB said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! Glad to see an update on your busy life!

Karen said...

Wow, what a fun-filled trip!

Yes, beautiful Olivia truly is mine.

Nice to see an update!

Matt & Nicki said...

Glad to see you back on the blogoshpere:) Sounds like you had a lot of fun on your trip . . .I would LOVE to visit the New England states, something about them intrigues me--perhaps it is my love for the fall. Enjoy your time off!

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Hi, Becky! I had so much fun reading about your trip - sounds like you were in heaven!!! It's great to hear you're doing so well and enjoying your summer. I'm sure you need the break!!
Kris (Helland) Birkholz

juliechall said...

Hi!
I just saw your name on someone else's blog and thought I would check it out. It's so nice to see your face again :)! I hope things are going well!

Julie

Erin Neiner said...

HEY!!! I saw you're blog awhile back & have yet to comment on it. It is great to "see" you!!!
OK...I am so sad! I live...about 45min. from Northampton & Amherst!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(
I wish I would have known you were "coming!" Also...you could have come in town to see Herman Melville's house, which is about 10 miles from my house! (I know, not as exciting as Dickinson, but you know...) There is a ton of historic/literary genius festering in these Berkshire mountains. Wish it were contageous! :) I can get a picture of Edward's church for you next time we stop over at Northampton. Uh, I am glad you didn't "bother" those weirdos...they are REALLY weird there! That's probably why I don't venture over there that much!!! Well, next time you come up this way, PLEASE let me know! You'll have at the least somewhere to stay if you need to!!! :)
ps I still have my American Lit book from your class. It is chalk full of notes. Don't know if I'll ever use it again, but I just can't part with it...not yet at least! :)

Erin (Quinn) Neiner

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

This is Kristen (Varner) Armstrong. I came across your blog and was so excited about it. I told my husband about your English class and how much I loved it. I had you both semesters my freshman year!!

Ross Shannon said...

Hey,

I just found this and you. It has been a long time since I've heard anything about you. So glad to see you are doing well. I can relate to your trip a little. I first had my 'Walden Pond Experience' back in 1992. I was fishing with my brother and a friend. But really I live about two miles from the center of Lexington and really close to Concord and all that. And then to top it off, I stopped in Northhampton on my way back from Northland last May to find David Brainard's gravestone. Good times. So glad you liked New England and so glad to find your blog.

Reads said...

Sounds like an exciting adventure! My parents now live in NJ, and I would love to explore more of the Northeast. . .
I have to say Audrey is ours or else people we were obsessed with taking pictures, oh what they probably think we are obsessed with taking pictures of our own child!
Trisha (Chaney) Read

Erin said...

It was great to find you blog. I looked for any grammatical error I could find and simply couldn't find one. Don't look too closely at mine. At least you won't be able to mark it up with your purple pen.