Tuesday, December 12, 2006

CELL PHONES!

Okay. I guess I'm old. Not the best way to start my 2nd blog entry, but I guess it's true. Now, I am fond of cell phones: they definitely have their uses. In fact, I use mine all the time. I'm very thankful for it. HOWEVER, what's with people using them EVERYWHERE? Today, I was at the mall Christmas shopping. And one of my pet peeves (and my students already know this) is women (and men--I guess--I've just not been in the men's room--ever) who talk on their cell phones IN THE BATHROOM. What's up with that? And it's not that they're talking while they're washing their hands or fixing their hair or putting on makeup. No. They're talking WHILE THEY ARE IN THE STALLS. And they're not talking about some emergency situation. They aren't even calling about running out of toilet paper. They're talking about the stupidest things. They can't wait until they're finished? I am more than annoyed by this behavior. I don't know the word for it right now--but annoyed is too calm. So, obviously, today, I observed this behavior. And I ran from stall to stall (the unoccupied ones, of course) and flushed every toilet I could--just to be annoying as well.

But that's not all! I was in a store looking at slippers for Mom, and here comes this lady--on her cell phone. (And, of course, these conversations are for everyone to hear.) So, she says, "I didn't call you last night because I didn't know how to tell you, but have you heard about Grandma?" Time passes. The lady says, "Well, she's not doing too well. In fact, she died last night. Oh, wait, I have another call." AND SHE PUTS THE PERSON ON HOLD TO TAKE A DIFFERENT CALL--from someone who wanted to know what's for dinner. Am I wrong to be astonished at this behavior? I had to leave that department. I was so angry.

THEN, I went to the children's section--looking for Curious George clothing for my niece (who is wild about him!). There's this girl--oh, at least mid-20's I'd say--talking on her cell phone. She says, "Did you make out with him AGAIN? I can't believe you!" Giggle, giggle, giggle. She continues (after a moment), "You swore you'd never do that again! Was his mom around, too?" Ack. Ack. I had to run away. Well, actually, I got on MY cell phone and called my mom--and told her how disgusted I was with everyone around me, everyone in SC, everyone period.

I am probably overreacting. But I don't care. It's genuinely how I felt today. Now that I'm home and can't hear anyone else's cell phone conversations, I feel fine. (Plus, Elf is on again. I can't tell you how much this movie makes me laugh. "Smiling's my favorite." I love Buddy the Elf.)

I hope you all are well--and enjoying your cell phone conversations--and everyone else's around you. :-)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

ALRIGHT...this was JUST what I needed...thank you! :) I honestly have had one of the LONGEST days I think allowed in the year 2006. I had my follow up Dr. Appt to see about going back to work (I had surgery last week...fun times, blog to still come:) and then a super emotional evening on the phone with someone I "thought" was a friend. Really, it was just what I needed. I laughed so hard that I don’t think it was good for my stomach:) lol

Keep up the fun postings...it is so enjoyable for your readers. (See Miss T...I can only write "serious" stuff:) You have a talent in this "blogging world"!!

Unknown said...

I'm with you about the cell phones; I'm thankful that I don't get out enough to see such atrocities firsthand. We have a low-tech trac phone that we use in case of emergencies or to schedule a last minute pizza-movie night (which happen only slightly less infrequently as emergencies in our household).

However, I think there is something beneficial to be said about using the bathroom while talking on the phone IF and ONLY if you are 1) talking in the privacy of your own home and 2) talking to family or a friend who is practically family. I don't talk on the phone while in the bathroom often now that I'm married. Seems like it was more of a single thing when I had girlfriends or my sister calling and chatting for hours on end.

Sara said...

I am so amazingly excited to hear from you, and I cannot wait to tell Josh. We think of you so often and wonder how you are doing. Please, please, please keep up the blogging, and know that I am equally as unsure and uneasy about using "blog" as every part of speech. However, it has kept me in touch with close friends, so I will continue, I suppose. The holidays have been busy and have kept me from being a faithful blogger, but I will try to get back in the groove. You were such an incredible influence on me at Northland--I want you to know that Josh and I both appreciate all you were to us! Please keep in touch!

Sara said...

Oh, and by the way, I definitely share your frustration of cell phones--very annoying! However, I am now a frequent user of my blackberry, which I am certain is as aggravating, if not worse, to those around me (especially Josh). However, I do NOT use it in the bathroom!!

C and C said...

Okay, this is happening so much it is starting to get a little spooky. I was JUST talking about you on Sunday, wondering if you had a blog. We (D-Train, Dan Valentine, Erin Branks, Caleb and I) were trying to find it with no luck. THEN, the very next day you left a comment on mine! I might have screamed, I can't remember. Anyway- it was great to hear from you! I have to admit, I am guilty of using my cell phone while using the bathroom, but only at home with my mom on the line. I wouldn't go as far as in a public bathroom, there are too many other things to worry about.

Matt & Nicki said...

Hello Miss Thompson--Esther Mulder told me about your blog, so I had to come check it out. It's fun for us old NBBC Students to have contact with a previous teacher, NOT just previous students. Welcome to the blogging world. I still tell people about my awesome creative writing class,and our smarties from freshman English. Thanks for giving your students a love for learning!
Nicki Tolosa
P.S. I loved the post with the word "blog" used in several parts of speech. Hope you don't find yourself correcting the grammar on everyone's posts:)

Holly said...

I agree about the cell phone use in bathrooms. It should be outlawed! I received your Christmas card and letter--thank you! I love that we can stay in touch. You looked so great in the teeny tiny picture you put on your letter. =) Stay in touch. Love ya!

Esther said...

Obnoxious cell phone talking definitely goes on my "petest peeves" list!! And the prime examples you sited rank right up there with the worst of the worst!

Esther

jeileenbaylor said...

I totally agree with you!

How are you ? We loved having you as a teacher. What a blessing you were!

Liesl said...

I love Buddy the elf, too. he makes me cry laughing. My kids are really into midgets right now. they point out short people in public and say--is that a midget? Then, they saw a pic of their uncle (who is a good 6 inches shorter than their dad) and wondered if he was a midget. So, I love the line, "Are you a Christmas elf?"

How horrible about the lady who told of Grandma's death by cell and then took a call waiting. Rude. And crude to the bathroom cell phoners--don't touch their cells if they drop them. Yucko.

the johnson crew said...

so so so so funny!